A Sudanese human rights organization reported on Monday that around 40,000 people had been displaced over seven days from Geisan locality and its surrounding areas in the Blue Nile region.
The Darfur Victims Advocacy Organization said in a press statement that Geisan locality is experiencing one of the worst humanitarian crises amid ongoing military operations. It said around 40,000 residents had fled to areas including Deim Saad, Wad Al-Mohami, Al-Kar, and other nearby locations, with the majority of those displaced being women, children, and elderly people.
The organization added that the situation of displaced people is deteriorating day by day amid the rainy season and continued rainfall. Thousands are facing severe shortages of food, drinking water, shelter materials, and healthcare services after leaving their homes and livelihoods in search of safer areas.
The organization stressed that “what is happening in Geisan locality in the Blue Nile region is not merely a temporary wave of displacement, but a humanitarian crisis that requires a response.”
It called on local, regional, and international organizations to intervene and provide assistance to those affected.